samedi, novembre 19, 2005

Chinese like it hot!

Today was one of the most exhausting day of the week... From 8am to 6pm, we had this compulsory seminar about current topics in Supply chain Management. Quite interesting, I must admit, but I wanted to sleep so much! Acually, I had to prepare this presentation the night before... And moreover, the night before I wouldn't have missed the dinner with McKinsey, the famous consulting company.

Actually, that's a topic I would like to talk about. How high is the chance that a French student gets emplyed in the German office of a conslting firm? I've talked to several consultants from Booz, Bain or OC&C and they all told me approximately

You can apply to our company, for sure. But I would recommand you to begin in France as a consultant... maybe then, it'll be easier for you to come back to Germany for being a consultant.

OK... But what if that's exactly the opposite I want for my career? And what if being emplyed as a consultant in France is not so exciting as being a consultant in Germany... I've got the impression consulting has a bad reputation in France. I'm not sure if it's really founded, or if that's only a cliché, but French companies (excepted big global Frnech companies like Bouygues, Alsthom, etc.) doubts on efficiency of consulting. While in Germany many "mittelständige" Companies (middle-sized companies) are considering external consulting as a value-added, I'm not sure that's the case in France... I might look for information of the topic and the opportunities of getting employed in strategic management consulting outside Germany.


So, after that exhausting seminar, we were invited by Jérôme at his place to enjoy a Chinese Dinner Yifei and Lilly had prepared. The meal was so delicious! Sushis, spicy chicken and ananas-cake. Regarding SPICY chicken... "spicy" is a soft word to qualify the meal. It was BURNING! But very good. And Yifei made an extra plate for me without Paprika, Thank you Yifei! Jan, Madeline's boyfriend, and Richard and Fred (a French mate of Richard) joined us after the meal. As usually, a very pleasant evening at Jérôme's place. And for once, we did not speak only French!
Last, but not least, Jérôme gave us an Advent Calendar for traditionally preparing Christmas! Nice attention! ;) I can't wait opening the first case with the first chocolate!

Tomorrow and Sunday... I think I'll learn again and again for this "Wachstum und Verteilung" exam. It'll be fun!

Update from Saturday 19.11.05
I'm just adding some pictures from yesterday night.

Lilly preparing the VERY HOT Chicken.


Melanie, proudly showing her Advent Calendar


Madeline desesperatly imitating German students,
while Jérôme and Caroline are playing with their chopsticks.


Yifei, threatening a cake with her knife...
Anyway, Lilly's always smiling!

By the way, Marc, another Tauschie from Luxemburg (studying in Dublin) put some pictures of our Halloween party on his blog. You'll find them on that LINK.

Aucun commentaire: